Is a second stroke in your future?
Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death in the United States. Even after surviving a stroke, it is possible to have another. Twenty three percent of stroke sufferers will experience a second.
The American Heart Association offers some tips that may have a big impact in reducing the risk. Up to 80 percent of second clot-related strokes can be preventable.
Here are eight ways to help prevent a second stroke:
1. Monitor your blood pressure.
2. Control your cholesterol.
3. Keep your blood sugar down.
4. Be active.
5. Make better food choices.
6. Maintain a healthy weight.
7. Refrain from smoking.
8. Talk to your doctor about aspirin or other medications.
Ultimately it depends on the patient to help reduce the risks. Consulting with your physician to help find the best plan of action is always the best idea.